10 Surprising Health Benefits Of Rum
When it comes to any alcoholic drink, most people have the wrong impressions of it. Sure, alcoholism is a rising problem and it had led to many deaths, broken families and illnesses.
But did you know rum is good for you if you take it moderately?
Here are 10 surprising health benefits of rum.
1. Healthy Heart
According to numerous studies, drinking rum in moderation is beneficial for the heart. Yes, you’ve read it right! Rum consumption can give you a healthy and strong heart. It decreases cholesterol levels in the body. It is also a good drink for peripheral artery disease prevention and is a blood thinner, which can help combat artery blockages, prevent heart attacks and heart disease.
2. It Can Fight Common ColdConsuming a small portion of rum can give relief to your sore throat. Consuming a tablespoon or two of rum a day can help treat the common cold. This is due to rum’s high antibacterial properties, which helps cure colds effectively.
3. Lowers Risk Of DiabetesIt is often said that drinking a tablespoon of rum every day lowers blood sugar. Rum’s medicinal properties have proven beneficial in lowering the risk of diabetes.
4. It Can Soothe Your Muscle PainWhen consumed in moderation, rum can help fight and prevent muscle pain. For people who have muscle pain, consumption of rum helps to increase bone mineral in the body, which can help prevent muscle pain, osteoporosis and assist in alleviating arthritis.
5. Powerful AntisepticRum is a great antiseptic! You can use it to clean wounds and it helps prevent bacteria from growing. It is an effective painkiller when applied topically and while consumed too.
6. Prevents Alzheimer's & Dementia
Rum can be great for preventing Alzheimer’s disease and dementia, but only when consumed in moderation (up to one and a half ounces per day), which helps decrease your risk.
7. Prevents CancerStudies have shown that those who drink Rum moderately had a 38% lower risk of contracting kidney cancer than the people who did not drink rum.
Additionally, research has also shown the health benefits of rum consumption in helping prevent thyroid cancer and lymphoma.
8. Keeps Scurvy Away
Rum is the only drink that helps to keep scurvy at home as compared to some more alcoholic beverage. Due to its medicinal properties, rum was served to British soldiers so that they are protected against scurvy.
Other than British soldiers, those with low immunity are also suggested they take a peg or two of the drink.
9. Reduces Risk Of Erectile Dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction is nothing new to a man. However, having frequent ED can be a sign of serious health issues. Moderate drinking of rum can protect you against erectile dysfunction. If you drink rum every day, it will reduce your risk of erectile dysfunction by 25-30%.
10. Clear & Healthy SkinApart from the various health benefits of consuming rum, there is a popular beauty trick as well. For anyone who is prone to acne and pimples, rum is solution. Its antibacterial and soothing ingredients clears away the bacteria and gives you healthy skin.
Note: Moderate drinking can improve your overall health condition. But excessive alcohol can turn you into an alcoholic in the long run.