10 Powerful Home Remedies for Acne
Acne is one of the most common skin conditions in the world, affecting an estimated 85% of people at some point in their lives.
Acne starts when the pores in your skin get clogged with oil and dead skin cells.
Common symptoms of acne include whiteheads, blackheads and pimples.
Factors contribute to the development of acne includes genetics, diet, stress, hormone changes and infections.
There are medical treatments like prescription creams or pills for acne, but they often have undesirable side effects like dryness, redness and irritation. This is why people are looking to take care of acne at home.
Here are 10 home remedies you can try.
1. Tea Tree OilTea tree oil is great for the treatment of acne and pimples. It soothes your skin and reduces the inflammation and redness. The antibacterial properties of tea tree oil help fight the acne causing bacteria.
It will also help in drying out the whiteheads and blackheads.
You will see papaya in many beauty products as it is a natural remedy for acne. Papaya removes excess lipid and dead skin from the skin surface, clearing the skin and leaving it smooth. The enzyme papain in papaya helps prevent pus formation and reduces inflammation. All you need is a fresh papaya.
3. Aloe VeraAloe vera functions as a potent anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory agent that helps to treat acne breakout.
The goodness of gibberellins and auxins in Aloe Vera promotes the growth of new cells, which speeds the healing of acne and prevents scars.
4. Green Tea
Green tea is powerful antibacterial agent for treating acne and uncloging pores.
Polyphenols in green tea damage bacterial membranes and fight against infection, meaning that it’s a useful tool for treating bacterial growth that causes acne.
5. MintMint has strong antibacterial properties and contains salicylic acid both of which effectively treat acne.
It also contains vitamin A, which controls the secretion of oil in people who have oily and acne-prone skin.
The anti-bacterial properties of honey work against acne causing bacteria and prevent its outburst. Honey is a wonder ingredient to reduce swelling and redness of the pimples as it functions for its anti-inflammatory properties.
In addition, it also maintains the skin balance and lowers production of sebum oil.
7. Apple Cider VinegarThe organic acids in apple cider vinegar may help kill acne-causing bacteria and reduce the appearance of scars.
Applying it to the skin may cause burns or irritation, so it should be used carefully.
8. Almond OilApplication of almond oil prevents acne, which have unique ability to unclog the pores from dirt and excess sebum due to the presence of zinc and vitamin A.
Additionally, the fatty acid content of almond oil help to dissolve excess oil on the skin and reduce blackheads.
Tomato is effective in clearing acne. It is slightly acidic in nature therefore helps in fighting acne.
Tomato also contains vitamins such as vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin K which find their place in acne medicines.
10. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a magic ingredient and is one of the most effective home remedies for acne treatment. It gently exfoliates the skin to get rid of the dead skin, dirt and excess oil.
Using baking soda tends to dry out your skin, so make sure to apply moisturizer.