18 Health Benefits of Oranges
Orange is known to have several health benefits and is among the most popular fruits around the world.
They are packed with vitamins and minerals, beta-carotene, potassium, magnesium, and fiber.
Their anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, anti-oxidant and anti-microbial properties could benefit humans in various ways.
Here are 18 health benefits of oranges.
1. Boosts Immune SystemLoaded with vitamin C, oranges boost immunity. Vitamin C is required for the production of white blood cells that fight off bacteria and other foreign particles.
Vitamin A, copper and folate present in an orange help vitamin C in maintaining the body's immune system.
2. Help to Treat AnaemiaThe vitamin C in oranges may promote iron absorption, as iron cannot be fully absorbed in the body without the help of vitamin C.
Oranges contain folic acid as well. Some research shows that this nutrient may help prevent megaloblastic anemia, a blood disorder that causes fatigue.
3. Reduces the Risk of Colon CancerOranges are an excellent source of vitamin C. Good intake of vitamin C is associated with a reduced risk of colon cancer as it helps to get off free radicals that cause damage to our DNA.
4. Promotes Weight LossOranges are a rich source of fibre and Vitamin C. The water content in this fruit is high which makes it low in calories and high in taste. They keep your tummy filled for a longer period of time and also help you to lose weight fast.
5. Lowers Bad CholesterolOranges also have the ability to keep away from cholesterol. They curb the production of cholesterol in the body by producing synephrine. In this way, they are able to lower bad cholesterol and promote good cholesterol.
6. Good for Eye HealthOranges are a rich source of carotenoid. The Vitamin A present in them play an important role in keeping the mucus membranes in the eyes healthy.
Vitamin A is also responsible to prevent age-related mascular degeneration, which in extreme cases can lead to blindness. It also helps eyes to absorb the light.
7. Prevents ConstipationOranges are known for having good amounts of fibre content. When it is consumed in the form of whole fruit, oranges can add bulk to your stools and flush them out seamlessly. Thereby, the chances of constipation are lowered.
8. Controls Blood Sugar LevelsDiabetic patients are advised to include oranges in their diet to regulate blood sugar levels. The high amounts of dietary fibre can improve the metabolic rate and aid in better digestion. This can also stimulate better insulin in the body.
9. Prevents Kidney StonesCitrate deficiency in urine can cause kidney stones. Oranges can help increase citrate levels in your urine, reducing the risk of kidney stones.
Oranges also contain calcium that may reduce the risk of stones.
10. Promotes Brain DevelopmentOrange contains folic acid and folate, which promotes the development of the brains. The nutrients also help maintain vital organs of your body. Consuming orange during pregnancy will prevent any neurological disorder in the baby later in life.
11. Maintains Healthy SkinOranges are rich in antioxidants that work to eliminate free radicals, keeping skin healthy and free of cancer.
Vitamin C and folate (Vitamin B9) improve blood flow to the skin, delivering nutrients, water and oxygen to the body’s largest organ.
12. Helps for Hair GrowthOranges are also helps in healthy hair growth. It is rich in Vitamin B12 and Vitamin E which is very important for long, thick and beautiful hair.
13. Relieves from ArthritisOranges are very effective in providing relief from arthritis because of its anti-inflammatory properties.
This anti-inflammatory property of orange is because of the presence of flavonoids such as hesperidin and naringin, which relieves the pain and stiffness of muscles and joints to a greater extent.
14. Prevents ArteriosclerosisRegular consumption of orange prevents us from arteriosclerosis because of the presence of vitamin C.
Arteriosclerosis is a condition in which our arteries get hardened. Vitamin C present in orange give strength to these arteries and also helps to maintain elasticity.
15. Alkalizes the BodyWhile the basic nature of oranges is acidic before you actually digest them, they have a lot of alkaline minerals that play a role in the process of digestion. This property of oranges is similar to that of lemons, which are without doubt among the most alkaline foods.
16. Aphrodisiac PropertiesOranges have mild aphrodisiac properties and thus help to treat various sexual problems. You can consume oranges if you are suffering from frigidity, erectile problems, disinterest in sex, decreased libido and impotence.
17. Acts as CholagogueOranges facilitate the secretion of hormones and other juices from different glands of our body like endocrine and exocrine glands.
This secretion helps in the promotion of digestive juices and enzymes, bile hormones, menstruation and lactation.
18. Lowers Incidence of Peptic UlcersThe high fiber and antioxidant content in oranges lowers the incidence of Helicobacter pylori, the bacterium responsible for developing peptic ulcers.
PrecautionsOranges are rich in potassium and too much consumption can be detrimental for the functioning of the kidneys.
Oranges should taken with caution by people on beta-blockers as this medication causes potassium levels to increase in blood.
People suffering from gastro-esophageal reflux disease should be careful while consuming oranges due to the high acidic content of this fruit.