Shavasana - The Corpse Pose
This pose resembles the posture of a dead body and is, therefore, named after it. Shava = Corpse. Asana = Posture or Pose. This pose seems quite easy, but it could also be one of the hardest since you need to completely relax your body and mind. This pose is usually practiced after an active yoga session.
This pose resembles the posture of a dead body and is, therefore, named after it.
- Shava = Corpse
- Asana = Posture or Pose
This pose seems quite easy, but it could also be one of the hardest since you need to completely relax your body and mind. This pose is usually practiced after an active yoga session.
How to Do Shavasana
- Lie flat on the back with the arms about 15 cm away from the body, palms facing upward. A thin pillow or folded cloth may be placed behind the head to prevent discomfort.
- Let the fingers curl up slightly.
- Move the feet slightly apart to a comfortable position and close the eyes.
- The head and spine should be in a straight line. Make sure the head does not fall to one side or the other.
- Relax the whole body and stop all physical movement.
- Become aware of the natural breath and allow it to become rhythmic and relaxed.
- Calms central nervous system, aiding the digestive and immune systems.
- Calms the mind and reduces stress.
- Reduces headache, fatigue and anxiety.
- Helps lower blood pressure.
- Promotes spiritual awakening and awareness of higher consciousness.
PrecautionsBack injury or discomfort: Do the pose with the knees bent and the feet on the floor, hip-distance apart; support the bent knees on a bolster and/or put a pillow under head and/or back.
Pregnancy: Raise the head and chest on a bolster.
Try not to move the body at all during the practice as even the slightest movement will create muscular contraction.
VariationsWhile lying in shavasana, become aware of the right hand and relax it. Slowly become aware of the right wrist, elbow, armpit, right side of the waist, right buttock, right thigh, right knee, calf, heel, sole of the foot, and relax them one by one.
Repeat this process with the left side of the body and all the parts of the head and trunk. Make sure that each part of the body is relaxed, feel each part merging into the floor.
Repeat this process a few times and all the tensions will be removed.