7 Impressive Health Benefits of Yogurt
Yogurt is named after "Yoghurmark" which means "to thicken" in Turkish. This thickened product is a derivative of milk prepared by adding bacterial cultures to milk. These bacteria transform lactose present in the milk into lactic acid. In this process milk thickens and gets transformed into Yogurt. Yogurt is a fermented milk product in an easily digestible form.
For those who think that yogurts are popular because they taste rich and creamy, the reality is that their benefits go beyond just their taste.
Here are 7 Impressive health benefits of Yogurt.
1. It's Rich in Important NutrientsYogurt is nutritious and is a good source of Iodine, Calcium, Phosphorus, Protein, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B12, Tryptophan, Potassium, Molybdenum and Zinc.
2. It's High in ProteinYogurt, especially the Greek variety, is very high in protein. Protein is helpful for appetite and weight control.
3. LongevityYogurt that is prepared at home or is processed properly, contains friendly bacteria which have many health benefits. These live bacteria can help in boosting immune system and could increase life. Research shows that elderly people who consumed yogurt regularly could resist diseases related to immune system better than their counterparts. In the study, 162 elders were studied for five years. It was found that those who consumed yogurt or milk at least thrice a week had 38 percent lower death incidences than those who consumed yogurt or milk products less than once in a week.
4. Strengthens ImmunityYogurt provides probiotics, vitamins and minerals, all of which may boost immune health and prevent certain illnesses.
5. Protect Against OsteoporosisYogurt is rich in vitamins and minerals that play a key role in bone health. Consuming it regularly may reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
6. Bone HealthYogurt contains lactoferrin, a protein that enhances activity of cells (osteoblasts) that build bones. Lactoferrin also hampers production of cells (Osteaclasts) that break down bones thereby helps in preventing osteoporosis and also in reversing it. It is useful to consume both milk and Yogurt for best results as effect of lactoferrin varied with dose. At higher doses, it stimulates osteoblasts.
7. Benefits Heart HealthRegardless of its fat content, yogurt appears to benefit heart health by increasing "good" HDL cholesterol and reducing blood pressure.
Note : Yogurt may have adverse effects for those with lactose intolerance or milk allergies. Many types also contain high amounts of added sugar, which may contribute to certain health conditions.