10 Health Benefits of Mustard Oil
Mustard is an essential ingredient in the Indain kitchen. And is better known for its medicinal values. This oil is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids and possesses anti-inflammatory properties. It also is packed with omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, antioxidants, and other minerals.
Mustard is an essential ingredient in the Indain kitchen. And the oil extracted from these mustard seeds is known as mustard oil, better known for its medicinal values.
This oil is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids and possesses anti-inflammatory properties. It also is packed with omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, antioxidants, and other minerals.
Here are 10 incredible health benefits of mustard oil.
1. Cardio ProtectiveMustard oil contains high amounts of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids (MUFA and PUFA) and omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. These good fats lower your risk of developing ischemic heart disease by 50%.
2. Anti-bacterial, Anti-fungal and Anti-carcinogenicGlucosinolate, available in mustard oil which accounts for antibiotic, fungicidal and cancer prevention qualities, serves as a therapeutic for human health. It thus protects us from colorectal and gastrointestinal cancers.
Ally Isothiocyanate in mustard oil serves as an anti-fungal agent, which protects food from fungal growth and reduces the infection.
3. Good for SkinMustard oil is rich in vitamin E, which is an essential nutrient for skin. And the alpha tocopherol in mustard oil prevents the cell damage and protects the skin.
Hence, if applied on the skin, the oil can reduce fine lines & wrinkles, and also acts as a natural sunscreen.
4. Good for Arthritis
Since ancient times, mustard essential oil has been used to give some relief from the symptoms of rheumatoid & arthritis. The presence of omega 3 fatty acids that help to ease stiffness and pain caused due to arthritis.
5. Relief from Cough and ColdMustard oil is considered a natural remedy for cold and cough due to its heating property that helps in clearing congestion. Mustard oil steam treatment helps warm up the respiratory system and clears phlegm.
6. Strengthens RBC'sMustard oil is a major source of all fats required by our body to perform diverse biological functions as components of plasma, cell lipids and cell membrane. Mustard oil reduces cholesterol and improves membrane structure of red blood cells.
7. Increases AppetiteMustard oil stimulates the gastric juices in the stomach and increases hunger by working on the intestinal lining. Using it as a cooking medium is recommended for those with a poor appetite.
8. Aids Weight LossMustard oil contains certain B-complex vitamins such as niacin and riboflavin. These may help increase body metabolism and help in losing weight. The oil also contains diacylglycerol that may contribute to weight loss.
9. Promotes Hair GrowthMustard oil contains large amounts of vitamins, minerals, iron, calcium, and fatty acids etc., which are all good for hair growth. It is also rich in beta carotene, which gets converted into vitamin A. which is a great source of nourishment to the scalp and promotes hair growth.
10. Natural StimulantMustard oil is a natural stimulant that is known to stimulate our sweat glands, thereby improving blood circulation throughout the body. It also helps to lower body temperature and remove toxins from the body. By increasing blood circulation in the entire body, it also relieves and rejuvenates stressed and overworked muscles.
Mustard oil may be used as a healthy tonic to promote one’s overall health and wellness. It may offer benefits to the entire body when used externally. Oral intake of the oil in high amounts is not recommended.
Pregnant women should avoid consumption of mustard oil as it contains a few chemical compounds that are harmful to them as well as the growing foetus.
Mustard oil should be used carefully in diabetic and heart patients, overconsumption should be avoided.