8 Health Benefits of Coconut Water
Coconut water is made from the clear liquid inside of green coconuts. It’s not to be confused with coconut milk, which is made from the water and the flesh inside of a mature coconut. Over 95 percent of coconut water is water.
Coconut water is the clear liquid found inside immature coconuts. As the coconut matures, the water is replaced by coconut meat. Over 95 percent of coconut water is water.
In traditional Ayurvedic medicine, coconut water is believed to help digestion, urination, and even semen production. It has also traditionally been used to treat dehydration.
It’s loaded with several important nutrients, including minerals that most people don't get enough of.
Here are 8 Health Benefits of Coconut Water that explain why it has become so popular.
1. Aids in Weight LossThe fat content in coconut water is extremely low, so generous quantities can be consumed without the fear of immediately packing on the pounds. It also suppresses the appetite and makes you feel full because of its rich nature.
2. Improves DigestionCoconut water is an excellent source of phosphatase, diastase, folic acid, and other enzymes that aids in the digestion of food.
3. Good for SkinFor those with acne or other blemishes on the surface of the skin, topical application of coconut water can go a great distance as it has the ability to clear up and subsequently tone the skin. It also moisturizes the skin from within if ingested orally, and eliminates large amounts of oil.
4. Boosts HydrationThe ingredients in coconut water are way more effective at hydrating the human body than those of sports and energy drinks. During rigorous exercise or extended periods of physical activity, the human body loses mineral-rich fluids. However, coconut water serves as an excellent replacement medium with 294 mg of potassium and 5 mg of natural sugar per glass.
5. Rich in Nutrients
Unlike any other beverage on the market, coconut water contains five essential electrolytes that are present in the human body. These include: calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium and sodium. Because of its unique composition, coconut water can be enjoyed by individuals with varying medical conditions.
6. Healthy BonesAn excellent source of calcium, coconut water will keep your bones strong and healthy.
7. Reduces Blood PressureCoconut water comes as a much-needed blessing for people with high blood pressure. The minerals (Potassium and Magnesium) along with Vitamin C ensure that the blood pressure is within healthy limits.
8. The Ultimate Hangover RemedyNext time you overdo it and drink more than your belly can handle, consume coconut water to settle your stomach. It will also replace those essential electrolytes that exit the body if you experience bouts of frequent urination and vomiting.
Some other Benefits of Coconut Water are:
- A rich source of potassium implies coconut water helps to lower the instances of muscle cramps.
- The magnesium present in coconut water comes as a savior for people with migraines.
- Being low in sugar and calories, coconut water is an excellent remedy for diabetic patients.
- coconut water can be used in extreme emergencies to quickly rehydrate the human body if administered intravenously.
Note : From small kids to pregnant women to elderly people, everyone can drink coconut water (unless asked to avoid on doctor recommendation) without any tension.