Diet for Healthy Hair and Hair Growth
Not always the treatments and hair care products play a role in maintaining healthy hair, the secret to thick, shiny, strong tresses is a healthy diet.
What you eat can have a huge effect on the health of your hair. If you suffer with hair loss, hair fall or hair thinning, your diet could be key to preventing further fallout.
Here are some super foods you need to feed for healthy hair and hair growth.
1. SpinachSpinach is a great source of iron, vitamin A and C and protein. Iron deficiency is the main cause of hair fall and spinach is not only iron-rich, it also contains sebum which acts as a natural conditioner for hair. It also provides us with omega-3 acid, magnesium, potassium, calcium and iron. These help in maintaining a healthy scalp and lustrous hair.
2. CarrotsKnown to be good for the eyes, carrots contain Vitamin A that also improves hair growth. Deficiency of vitamin A may lead to dry and itchy scalp. Carrots are known to add to the thickness of hair, make hair lustrous, improve blood circulation, strengthen the hair, protect hair from external damages like pollution and also help prevent breakage of hair and hair fall.
3. EggsSince hair is composed of 68 percent keratin protein, eggs help in rebuild damaged hair. Eggs are also a great source of protein and biotin, which are important for hair health and growth.
4. BerriesBerries are loaded with compounds like antioxidants and vitamins that may promote hair growth. For example, strawberries are rich in vitamin C, which aids collagen production and iron absorption, two factors that may promote hair growth.
5. YogurtYogurt is packed with Vitamin B5 and Vitamin D that are known to promote hair follicle health. Alternatively, you can also use yogurt to make a hair mask every once in a while.
6. Sweet PotatoesBeta carotene protects against dry, dull hair and stimulates the glands in your scalp to make an oily fluid called sebum. Orange coloured fruits and vegetables such as carrots, pumpkin, cantaloupe, mangoes and sweet potatoes are a great source of this.
7. LentilsLentils are loaded with protein, iron, zinc, and biotin. Besides this, lentils are full of folic acid which is necessary for restoring the health of red blood cells that supply the skin and scalp with much-needed oxygen.
8. WalnutsIt is the only known nut that contains biotin, B vitamins (B1, B6 and B9), Vitamin E, plenty of protein and magnesium, all of which strengthen hair cuticles and nourish the scalp. It helps protect your cells from DNA damage which may be caused due to sun exposure.
9. AvocadosAvocados are rich in vitamin E, an antioxidant that may promote hair growth. Additionally, they are a great source of essential fatty acids, which appear to be crucial for hair growth.
10. OatsOats are rich in fibre, zinc, iron, omega-6 fatty acids and polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) that stimulate hair growth and will make your hair thick and healthy.
Recommended : Natural Remedies for Hair Fall and Hair Thinning
A lack of the right nutrients including vitamins A, C, D and E, zinc, B vitamins, iron, biotin, protein and essential fatty acids may slow down hair growth or even cause hair loss. Correcting a deficiency in any of these nutrients may help for healthy hair and hair growth.